Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Dust ... Yes It Is Everywhere

No new volcano news today ... thank goodness, but tons of stranded travellers are here waiting to get out. Marco Polo Airport is supposed to re-open today but the haze here is terrible. We shall see. I thought of going down to Venice today for lunch but stayed home as I expect the crowds are pretty thick ... and unhappy.
We went to Venice a week or so ago and it was amazing. I was in the middle of reading a book called "The City of Falling Angels" by John Berendt (of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil fame) which is about the burning of the famous opera house in Venice called "The Fenice". So, as we were wandering around Venice looking at things like:
while trying to decide if we should ride in the orange crushed velvet with pompoms and fringe pimped out gondola
or the more taditional but also more subdued type:
My husband, who never thinks of these things, says "Hey! Let's go look at that building you are reading about." And so we did. I wish now that I had finished the book first and so I will have to go back because they have rebuilt it and when you stand in the street, 6 feet from the building next to it, you see why, at the beginning of the book, the fear was that all of Venice would burn. It was incredible there!
In other news, I recieved a shipment of wool yarn from Stone Hedge Mills. It is gorgeous and I will try to take pictures and get them up. They did a fabulous job and I have already started a shawl in the black/silver. What will I do now that I have no fleeces of my own to send them ... yikes!
I can see the trees
Through the window ... blossoms fly
Following the wind.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely on my list of places to visit - who knows, maybe we can go together!!

Unknown said...

So glad to hear that you are out and about and enjoying Italy. I am seriously jealous but loving the pictures for some vicarious enjoyment.

cindi said...

Amazing photos! I am so jealous that you can write "I thought I might pop down to Venice for lunch".